He is only 22 years old and has played only 6 Test Matches, yet today he produced one of the finest test innings of all time.
Abdullah Shafique’s unbeaten 160 off 408 deliveries was a monumental effort that led Pakistan to their second highest run chase ever in Test cricket.
His 160* in a successful chase in the 4th innings of a test is:
– The eighth highest score by a batter.
– The third highest in Asia.
– The third highest by an opener.
– The second highest by a Pakistan batter.
– The second highest against Sri Lanka.
– The highest at Galle.
– The highest by a Pakistan opener.
In his short test career, Shafique has already played two epic fourth innings knocks:
– The 96 off 305 deliveries in Karachi that helped Pakistan save the test against Australia.
– Today’s 160* to secure a historic win for Pakistan.
Shafique also became only the 5th batter in the history of test cricket to face over 400 deliveries in the fourth innings of a Test. He faced a total of 408 deliveries, which is the second highest number of deliveries faced in the 4th innings during a successful run chase.
And the first ever batter in the history of test cricket to bat for over 500 minutes in the 4th innings of a test in a successful run chase! He batted for 524 minutes, which is also the third longest innings by minutes in the 4th innings of a test.
His current test batting average of 80.00 is behind only Sir Donald Bradman’s average.
He has accumulated 720 runs in his first 6 Tests. Only Sunil Gavaskar, Sir Don Bradman, and George Headley scored more than this in their first 6 Tests.
It has been a while since Pakistan had a consistent opener in Test cricket so about time we have found the Real Deal in Abdullah Shafique.
May he have a long and prosperous career and break many more records!