Organisers of the UAE’s ILT20 are working with their counterparts in Australia and South Africa to minimise the impact of scheduling clashes with their competitions, Mubashshir Usmani, the general secretary of the Emirates Cricket Board (ECB), has said.
Usmani said the January 6 to February 12 window had been selected for the ILT20 because it presented “optimal playing conditions in the UAE”. “While this window suits our purpose, we are closely working with different boards toward minimising date clashes,” Usmani said.
“We are working with Cricket Australia, in fact we are in touch with all the relevant cricket boards, to minimise any major clashes,” Usmani said. “We do want Australian as well as any other available players to be involved with the league.”
Usmani said the franchises had been empowered to sign overseas players on their own, by a “direct acquisition” process, although he and his colleagues are around to help.
“Our team has been working alongside players, players’ agents and various boards to seek and secure the necessary approvals for those identified to participate in the league’s inaugural edition,” he said.
Although the franchises are likely to be mostly made up of players from outside the Emirates, two local players must feature in every starting XI.
Usmani called the ILT20 “special”, as it would afford players from the region, and other Associate nations, “an incomparable experience” of sharing the dressing room with top players in “one of the most attractive destinations in the world”.