In what is a significant deal, a compromise has effectively been reached for Lynn to split himself between the two T20 competitions. He will be granted a No Objection Certificate from January 20, with Lynn’s last Strikers match being their clash with his former club Brisbane Heat in Adelaide on January 14. It means he will miss the opening matches of the ILT20 which is due to start on January 6.
There had been the threat of a stand-off between Lynn and CA with the batter not holding a contract anywhere in Australia, after being released by Heat earlier this year and signing up with the ILT20, but still requiring an NOC. The legal advice was that CA could have been taken for restraint of trade if they had tried to enforce that position.
“Cricket Australia welcomes the Adelaide Strikers’ signing of Chris Lynn,” a CA spokesperson said. “He will be released from 20 January to participate in UAE’s ILT20 competition from that date.
“Lynn does not hold a CA or State contract and has not done so since his last Queensland Cricket contract expired in June 2019. Each matter regarding release for overseas competitions is subject to the individual’s circumstances.
“Our guiding principle remains the prioritisation and protection of Australia’s domestic summer of cricket and the interests of the game overall.”
Lynn will face his former club twice during the BBL season with a trip to the Gabba on December 23.
“We all know the qualities that Chris Lynn brings to the table. He is a proven match-winner, an experienced leader and a great character to have around the group,” Strikers’ head coach Jason Gillespie said. “His record speaks for itself. We’re thrilled to have him and know he can play an important role for us this summer.”
He had been a single-club player in the BBL until being cut by Heat in May as the club opted to look elsewhere to try and revive their fortunes. He had a lean 2021-22 tournament with 215 runs in 12 innings but in recent months enjoyed a prolific T20 Blast campaign with Northamptonshire.